Since I started this blog I’ve made a heap of online friends. Yes non-believers, FRIENDS!!
Online friends are completely different to real-life friends:
- You comment on their blogs and they comment on yours. You write funny stuff or make them laugh and you get an instant response. Real-life friends are reading along but not always commenting.
- Online friends write a personal article and you get to add your own irreverent personal comments!! (maybe that’s not QUITE what they expected!)
- You friend each other on facebook and follow on twitter. You join forums and facebook groups together. There’s lots of talking about “stuff”.
- In some cases you share the sad events in their lives – mostly because they blog about them!!
- If you’re having a conversation with an online friend they have to tell you juicy stuff, otherwise the relationship can wain. Imagine 10 minutes spent staring at the screen and no-one types anything? Not exactly the stuff great friendships are built on!
- A real-life friend shares work, social, personal dramas in a different way. You can go to the movies and not say much and still have had an enjoyable evening with a real-life friend! You can lie by the pool for 2 hours each reading your book and know you’ve had a good time together! That doesn’t work online!
- Of course sometimes you meet wierdos online. You have the choice to dig deeper and find out if they are awesome wierdos or just plain scary. And if they turn out to be scary – you can block them!!
- One of the best things about online friends is that they live all over the world. When my Aussie friends are tucked up in bed I still have playmates!! I can message someone in Europe, Asia or the USA and get my fix of human interraction while I’m doing 10 other things at once – any modern teenager would be proud!!
It’s a whole different relationship with online friends.
And those who don’t have online friends won’t really understand how it works. But trust me, it’s cool!
I was prompted to write this tonight because 24 completely random people that I don’t know have sent me friend requests on facebook this week.
And it amused me to find myself horrified at the thought of adding them to my friends list! It seems even I have my limits!
(You wouldn’t think so because just days ago I added the receptionist from America’s Best Inn to my friends – but that doesn’t really count because she was CRAZY! And I dig CRAZY!!)
Over the next couple of days I’m going to post about some of the online friends we have met while travelling. These are other families who are also travelling or getting ready to travel.
We know a ridiculous amount about them when we meet from their blogs and it’s just like meeting an old friend!!
You may like these!: