We all have pretty stuff that we are saving for a special occasion. Or things that are too pretty to use. You know – the things that are taking up a pile of room in your cupboards. Check out the list below and think of all the stuff you have hiding right now:
- That pretty soap the kids gave you for Mother’s day 5 years ago!
- The beautiful (expensive) perfume that your hubby gave you that time he actually remembered your birthday!
- Those Christmas candles that you only bring out once a year and then don’t light because you worry someone will knock them over and burn the house down!
- Your favourite tie (or tie pin or cufflinks) that are only for special occasions (so you never really wear them!)
- The good china/formal cutlery/fancy glass serving bowls that you use every third year when you host Christmas at your house.
- The huge pile of craft gear that you own and don’t let the kids use because they might ruin it!
You get the picture right?
Let me tell you that all this pretty stuff is just piling up in your house and weighing you down.
If you are planning a long-term travel escape and are going to have to start going through your possessions you should take stock of this “good” stuff right now and start using it up!
When we got ready to travel, we had only a 6 month window to get ready. Which wasn’t really much time to use up all the stuff we had been accumulating!
So you know what happened? We sold/gave away/threw out our special stuff that we didn’t use up in time! We had no way to take it with us and a year in storage wasn’t going to be kind to pretty perfumes! We also wanted to minimise our storage expenses so couldn’t really justify storing things we hadn’t even used in years!
- Those pretty candles we had never burned – sold them at a garage sale for $2 each!
- The ties and stuff to go with – gave them to lifeline as they were never ever going to get used. Gert is a truck driver so formal attire is not really required! If we ever get invited to a fancy wedding we’ll just borrow someone else’s stuff.
- The pretty soaps – used them in the shower. Not in a fabulous bubble bath with candles and a good book as I had envisioned 100 years ago when I received them. Just in an everyday shower as we got ready for work and school! SO SAD! But necessary!
- The nice expensive perfumes – I used these up – there was no way I was throwing them out! I smelled great for 6 months and wondered why I had been saving them all this time!
- Nice plates/cutlery – We kept the stuff we occasionally used and sold the rest at a garage sale. $70 glassware going for $5 – broke my heart! Some of it was brand new and had never been out of its box! The formal cutlery was chucked in the drawer with the rest and is now being used daily since we are home. Who are we kidding – we only ever have our friends around during the day – we very rarely do anything spesh at home!
- Craft gear – This is the worst one. Do you really think it matters if a 10 year old uses the stamps and there’s then ink on the wooden handle? Will the world end if glitter gets onto the stamp pad? Wouldn’t you rather spend time using those items to do craft than admiring them all pretty on the office shelf? (And tempting your kid to sneak them off to his room for a turn and then risking black ink on the cream carpet!!) We sold most of our craft items and we had lots! I promised myself from here on in we will use everything and it will die a long, overused death!!
Travelling showed us that the things we’ve listed above don’t even matter in the scheme of things! What matters is time spent together and great memories of those times!
Pretty soaps and craft items are no substitute for family time and having a house that is clear of clutter and cupboards that aren’t full of “good” items you are hoarding!
So go check your bathroom cupboards and start using that soap. Try out the perfume you’ve been saving. Use that craft stuff to make goodbye cards for family and friends before you leave!
Get started right now on using up your pretty stuff!
If you like these travel tips subscribe to our email list to get the very first notification of our travel planning membership site! Go on just pop your email address in the box! There will be a special discount offered for everyone on this list!
You may like these!: