I promised you a roundup of the coolest stuff we did on our Life Changing Year adventure of 2012. I figured we should do a roundup before we start assailing you with the cool stuff we are going to do in 2013!!
So here’s my roundup of the best stuff we did in the best 11 months of our lives!
- We visited 4 continents (5 if you count Australia where we started and finished!) We made it to Asia, Africa, North America, Europe and Oz. What a surprise that was when I realised it! And what a bummer we didn’t have our yellow fever vaccinations – we would have gone to South America after the US had we had those jabs!!
- We took over 18,500 photos. Imagine how long I can torture you with favourite fotos with a haul like that!! Somehow we managed to fit them all onto the little computer without having to decide which ones would not be backed up to the hard drive! There’s about a year of scrapbooking waiting for me right there!
- We ate weird stuff – Durian (eeeek), pigeon, fried crickets, curries that almost burned the skin off our lips.
- We ate bloody awesome stuff – Pizza (LA & New York), Pho (Vietnam), Falafel (Egypt), Kayalup (green pancakes – Malaysia), Roti (Malaysia), Layer cake (Denmark), Apple cake (Denmark), Danish meatballs (Denmark), Rye bread and toppings (Denmark) – anyone noticing a Danish pattern here!
- We visited 22 UNESCO World Heritage Sites. I’m pretty impressed by this number and I’d like to visit a whole heap more! Some sites are actually whole towns – way cool!
- We slept in all kind of places: AirBnb homestays (Malaysia and New York), a 5 star apartment (Las Vegas), hostels (SE Asia and Egypt), The worst hotel on the planet (Thailand), motels (USA and France), tents (Yosemite and Yellowstone National Parks and all over the USA), cabins (USA), an RV (nights next to a cemetary and next to a missile base!), online friend’s houses (USA, France, Malaysia), overnight trains (Thailand), sleeper buses with beds (Vietnam, Laos), overnight buses with no beds! (Malaysia), real life friend’s and family (UK, Denmark, Australia), a 100 person tent (Munich). We even spent half a night sleeping outside in France when we missed check in for our motel!
- We heard people having “special cuddles” 6 times in our travels! 6 times! In motel rooms in the USA mostly but once in France at 1000 decibels in the dead of night! Hilarious and shocking all at once!
- We mastered squat toilets! We laugh in the face of porcelain holes in the ground now! Mwah hah hah!
- We had clothes made in Vietnam – which promptly fell apart!
- Brittney crashed a scooter in Vietnam that she was convinced she could drive! There was a hole in the scooter but she got away with a few scratches and a burn from the exhaust. Probably because we played an April fools joke on those at home saying Jono was injured and we were coming home. Karma huh?
- We rode bicycles in Vietnam. I did not crash mine!
- Strange men tried to purchase Kate from us in Egypt. Camels were the currency of choice although we were offered cats and chickens at various stages! We didn’t sell but it was close! Who can resist a million camels?
- We held snakes and fed monkeys!
- Jono peed on the bus!
- I shit my pants in the hostel and on an aeroplane!
- The whole family was laid out with food poisoning in Cambodia for 4 days. A week later after we had fully recovered, Gert and I got second degree sunburn eventually requiring special cweam and a hospital visit back in Thailand!
- We visited 16 countries and 17 US states – Here’s the breakdown of the countries: Thailand, Cambodia, Malaysia, Laos, Vietnam, North America, France, England, Czech Republic, Germany, Denmark, Sweden, Egypt, Sri Lanka, Kuwait, Singapore!
- We also either landed in these countries in transit or passed through them in a bus-we aren’t counting them as visited: Taiwan, Netherlands, Belgium.
- We spent AU$80,000! Gulp!!
- We fell for the ‘come to my shop – it’s just down this way’ scam in Egypt and the ‘just hold my overpriced bananas for a photo’ scam in Vietnam. The kids fell for the ‘I’ll fix your perfectly good shoes’ scam in Vietnam!
- Brittney cured her fear of flying and her inability to sleep on any type of transport. She now sleeps on random men – young and old! Here’s some proof:
- We hit some fun theme parks – Disneyland (LA), California Adventureland (LA), Vinpearl Island (Vietnam), Asterix Parc (France), Malacca Wonderland (Malaysia). Fun and terror was experienced by all!
- We flew on 12 flights including stop-overs. Not nearly as many as we thought we would!
I’m sure there’s heaps of other stats I could bore you with but you get the picture!! I’ve still got so much to write about and I’ll start churning those out really soon!
How much do you think you could fit into one year of travel?
You may like these!: